Author: Leandro Benda, PMP
“Projects are the living proofs that a butterfly flapping its wings can lead to a tornado”
On Thursday, April 27, 2023 took place in Geneva our live event “Resilience in project leadership - Tools from elite sports” in partnership with our sponsor PwC presented with great talent by Michka Guerrier, Director - Risk Consulting Leader Western Switzerland and Finance Transformation by PwC.
Michka is passionate about supporting individuals, teams and companies in reaching their fullest potential – and translating these into realities.
How does he pursue this purpose? He seeks the most interesting and proven knowledge, tools, methods, experiences from various disciplines such as fighting sports, scientific exploration, psychology and brings these to the people and companies he works with.
the event started right away very strong with Michka who put some participants in real conditions from the beginning, the volunteers were asked to do the following exercise in the room:
- Push Ups
- set of 10 reps
- 2 breath cycles break between reps
- 2 min. max time
Through this practice, the usual cognitive process was shown:
- 1st set: Easy, fresh body and mind, intact motivation.
- 2nd set: Body starts to sweat; we start to feel the muscles.
- 3rd set: Difficulties starting/increasing, body vs. mind.
As a conclusion of this debrief, we can say that:
- The pain & struggle in our muscles is what makes them grow
- Muscle cell disruption is what triggers the growth!
- The aversion toward the challenge is a paradox.
Do you think that Discomfort is an acceptable sensation? How can we work on this (in a fun manner)? Here are some ideas:
- Put yourself in discomfort e.g physical exercise, cold shower
- Implement this practice regularly
- Use mantras or affirmations which are supportive.
A particularly interesting concept was the Kintsugi, a Japanese art of repairing broken pottery by mending the areas of breakage with gold.
As a philosophy, it treats breakage and repair as part of the history and value of an object.
In conclusion, we can say that:
- Resilience, entrepreneurship & leadership are intrinsically connected.
- Disruption is part of growth.
- To progress towards goals, you need to want the challenge.
- To lead effectively, you need to connect challenges and goals within your team.
- Resilience is among other things to recognize that there will be difficulties and to be smart in suffering.
From butterfly to tornado – cherish your thoughts;
Idea -> Paper -> Plan -> Share and recruit -> Start / Implement / Build -> Grow and refine
Thank you for participating and don’t hesitate to take a look at our events via the link below: